Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Arthur Ave in the Bronx!

Arthur Avenue in the Bronx, a perfect day...




When I am an old lady, I will look back on life and clearly define the best days that I have lived, the ones that could really be called perfect. They all involve my three sons, my family and friends and paramount events. However, I have added one more day to that list. The teenagers in my past culinary class, a talented chef, and a man named Mike who had a vision, all get the credit for making this such a memorable time.
It was perfect weather here in New York City one summer morning. No humidity, a slight breeze and a majestic  blue sky.  All eight youngsters were ready to embark on an anticipated food adventure with me. One of my students even donned his custom-made chef jacket with his name embroidered on the breast. Honestly, this kind of enthusiasm truly makes my culinary world even brighter.
Our destination- Arthur Ave in the Bronx!
Arthur Avenue is considered the most traditional and sentimental Little Italy in all of New York City. Offering a wealth of history and very high quality Italian food, this community boasts many generations that  are committed to the preservation of their old-world and charming neighborhood.  That charm and comforting climate is present among the string of food establishments- pastry shops, bread stores, gourmet pork stores, butchers, coffee shops, restaurants, raw bars and fresh fish markets.
There was no traffic as our mini bus made its way through Manhattan. My students wore expressions that told me they were eager to taste and learn. We made perfect timing, and started out with a walking tour of the whole area. They had thoughtful questions about the many different foods we encountered, and I realized how much I was thoroughly enjoying this day.  We were scheduled to attend a class on how to make fresh mozzarella. Part of the class involved a lot of tasting of traditional Italian dishes.  I couldn’t help thinking that if the food did not live up to all the hype, then this so-far perfect day was only going to be partially perfect.
The good news is that the food lived up to more than the hype, and I owe that to Chef David Greco. David is the second generation owner of Mike’s Deli. His dad is Mike who still works at the establishment which is a cornucopia of divine Italian imported foods and exciting home-cooked dishes.  When we entered Mike’s Deli, David was waiting for my class. He took hold of my students and made them his own for forty five minutes. He and his team went through the entire process of how to make and serve his milky, salty and outstandingly delicious fresh mozzarella. He thrilled my students with his knowledge and expertise. His helpers served a splendid pasta dish with David’s fresh aromatic tomato sauce of basil and garlic. Next, David doled out the mozzarella with a perfect pesto dripping over the pure little white hills of fresh cheese. 
I knew that David’s eggplant parmigiana was considered the best in the country. I also knew that the famous Bobby Flay challenged him to a throw-down on the Food Network, and David was the winner. I asked him to tell the boys and girls about the experience. First, he called out to the kitchen for his famed dish. David cut up that mouthwatering eggplant parmigiana and served it piping hot on fresh crusty Italian bread.  Then he told of the exciting experience of being challenged to a throw-down. 
He said to me “Bobby Flay came in here with his eggplant parmigiana, and he baked it with the SKIN still on! Could you believe that?” 

David and I exchanged expressions of clear Italian shock over such a happening!
David also went on to tell us about his time as a contestant on the popular TV show, Chopped.  The boys and girls absorbed the whole experience with big smiles, wide eyes and a healthy appetite. When it was over, I purchased the  irresistible food of Mike’s Deli. I took home soppresata, cacciocavalo cheese, the exceptional smoked mozzarella and, of course, three perfect large balls of fresh mozzarella. That evening, I served my treasure of Arthur Avenue delights at dinner to my parents, sons, brother and nephew.
I encourage my readers to go on a day trip to Arthur Avenue with family and friends or any special group of people. This is not considered food shopping or a task. This is an eating adventure at Mike and David’s establishment where they combine an old-world atmosphere  with one taste more tantalizing than another. You can end the day with dinner at one of the many popular Italian Restaurants along the avenue.  And perhaps, when you reach old age, you will also look back on life and consider your trip to Arthur Avenue as a perfect day.
Mike’s Deli “The Original Arthur Avenue Italian Deli”
2344 Arthur Avenue
Bronx, N.Y. 10458
www.ArthurAvenue.com

No comments:

Post a Comment